The Carnival That’s Too Cute To Spook
Every October, get in the Halloween spirit at the Virginia Discovery Museum’s Boo Bash! Dress up in your kookiest costumes and join us for an evening of frighteningly fun carnival games, activities, and crafts. Conduct eccentric experiments in the Mad Science lab, concoct crazy potions in the Witch’s Cabin, stomp to the beat in the Monster Mash dance room, brace yourself for a creepy Cryptid Encounter at the ranger station, and so much more. Don’t forget to pick up a prize from the Little Shop of Prizes and grab a devilishly delicious cookie from Baggby’s to decorate at home. Boo Bash is one of the Museum’s major annual fundraising events, and proceeds support educational programs and camps, exhibit creation and maintenance, and our Sponsored Admission Program.
Event Details | Sponsors | Tickets | COVID Policies | FAQs | Contact
Thank You to Our Sponsor
Tickets – Choose a Session
- Event registrants with any of these symptoms are asked to refrain from attending Boo Bash.
- All event registrants over the age of 2 must wear a mask. If a guest does not have a mask, one will be provided for them. Both adult- and child-sized masks are available.
- All parents/guardians must Check-In and sign a waiver at the front desk before guests visit the carnival stations.
- No food, gum, or drinks are allowed in the Museum, except water bottles.
- All event guests are encouraged to social distance while in the Museum.
Check-In & Check-Out
- 5:30 p.m.: Doors Open
- Although doors open at 5:30 p.m., event registrants may arrive and check in anytime during the event.
- Check-In takes place at the Museum’s front desk.
- 5:30-7:30 p.m.: Carnival Activities, Games & Crafts
- 7:30-7:40 p.m.: Event Ends
- Carnival stations close. Restrooms will remain open until 7:40 p.m.
- All event guests must exit the Museum by 7:40 p.m. to allow for the arrival of VDM’s cleaning crew.
- VDM’s public drinking fountain is currently shut down due to COVID restrictions.
- Our coat and stroller room is open and available for event guests to store belongings and strollers, but space is limited on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Our public restrooms are open and available for event guests, and both men’s and women’s restrooms are equipped with changing tables.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many people will be in the Museum during Boo Bash?
Each of the three Boo Bash nights has a maximum capacity of 60 guests. VDM staff members and volunteers will be present during the event, as well, and all have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be wearing masks.
How often is the Museum cleaned?
VDM will close early at 3:00 p.m. on Oct. 27, 28, and 29 to clean the Museum and set up for Boo Bash. A cleaning crew will be on site after each Boo Bash night to clean and sanitize. All event guests must exit the Museum by the scheduled Check-Out time before the cleaners arrive.
Registration & Waitlists
What if the Boo Bash night I want to participate in has filled?
Each of the three Boo Bash nights has a maximum capacity of 60 guests. If you have an interest in a night that is full, please contact Director of Operations Lindsay Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 977-1025 x102 to add your name and number of guests to the waitlist. In the event of a cancellation, those on the waitlist will be contacted in the order their requests were received.
Does VDM offer financial assistance for Boo Bash?
In accordance with the Museum’s mission, VDM does offer financial assistance for Boo Bash on a limited basis. For information about applying for financial assistance, contact Director of Operations Lindsay Jones at email@example.com or (434) 977-1025 x102.
How do I apply my 10% annual member discount?
To apply this discount to event ticket purchases made online, you must have an active annual membership and will need to create a Website User Account and link it to your membership record by following these instructions. If you have already created a Website User Account, click the ticket link for the event you wish to register for and sign in using the link at the top of the ticketing page. If you need help applying your 10% discount when using our online ticket forms, please contact Visitor Services Manager Matt Berman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I set up my Website User Account?
Did I successfully link my Website User Account and membership?
Contact Visitor Services Manager Matt Berman at email@example.com, and we’ll make sure everything is all set.
Cancellations & Refunds
What is VDM's cancellation and refund policy for Boo Bash?
If the event is canceled by the Museum due to extenuating circumstances, ticket fees will be refunded for all guests. Registrants may cancel their tickets to receive a full refund until 5:00 p.m. on Oct. 26, but refunds will not be issued for cancellations made on the event days (Oct. 27, 28, and 29).
Parking & Directions
Where can I park for Boo Bash?
VDM validates parking for Boo Bash guests at the Market Street Garage and Water Street Garage. Both locations provide the first hour of parking for free, and event guests receive an additional hour of free parking – for a total of two hours – when they request a validation ticket at VDM’s front desk. The Museum is also located next to the Downtown Transit Station, and Charlottesville Area Transit offers a Free Trolley that stops at the station as it travels through Downtown and the University of Virginia. Click to learn more about parking downtown or more about public bus routes and fares.
Click the icon in the upper left corner for map legend and details.
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? To learn more about Boo Bash or to ask about financial assistance, contact Director of Operations Lindsay Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 977-1025 x102.