Date Night Drop-Off
Parents, need a Friday night out? Let the Virginia Discovery Museum watch the kids while you enjoy some much-deserved time to yourselves! Children will have the opportunity to engage in hands-on crafts, games, and activities and enjoy plenty of playtime in our exhibit galleries, all while interacting with other kids in a safe setting with our fully vaccinated staff. Due to food allergy concerns, please note that VDM does not provide dinner or snacks during Date Night Drop-Off, so participants are encouraged to eat before or after the program.
- Program participants with any of these symptoms are asked to refrain from visiting the Museum.
- All program registrants must be potty-trained and fully independent in the bathroom.
- Masks are encouraged but optional for all program participants. If a child does not have a mask and would like one, VDM will provide one for them.
- All parents/guardians must Check-In at the front desk before dropping off program participants at the Museum.
- No food, gum, or drinks are allowed in the Museum, except water bottles.
Check-In & Check-Out Procedure
- 5:30-5:45 p.m.: Arrival & Check-In
- Takes place in the Museum’s front lobby area.
- All parents/guardians must check in with a staff member before dropping off their child(ren) at the Museum.
- Playtime is limited to the front gallery until all program participants have arrived.
- 5:45-7:30 p.m.: Program Activities & Gallery Playtime
- Due to food allergy concerns, the Museum will not provide dinner or snacks.
- Participants are encouraged to eat before or after the program.
- Participants are encouraged to pack a water bottle for their child(ren).
- 7:30-7:45 p.m.: Pick-Up & Check-Out
- Parents/Guardians will wait in the lobby area, and their child(ren) will be walked up by a staff member or volunteer.
- All visitors must exit the Museum by 7:45 p.m. to allow for the arrival of VDM’s cleaning crew.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will VDM be open for general admission during Date Nights?
No, VDM will be closed for general admission visits during Date Night Drop-Offs.
Who else will be in the Museum during Date Nights?
At least one VDM staff member and a Museum volunteer will be present during every Date Night Drop-Off. All staff members and any volunteers who will be in the building have been fully vaccinated against COVID.
How often is the Museum cleaned?
A crew will be on site following all Date Night Drop-Offs to clean and sanitize. All program participants must exit the Museum by the scheduled Check-Out time before the cleaners arrive.
Registration & Waitlists
What is required to be eligible for Date Night?
Children must be at least 3 years old, potty-trained, and fully independent in the bathroom.
What if the Date Night I want to participate in has filled?
Date Night Drop-Offs have a maximum capacity of 16 children. If you have an interest in a drop-off that is full, please contact Education Manager Lara Musser at email@example.com or (434) 977-1025 x106 to add your child's name to the waitlist. In the event of a cancellation, those on the waitlist will be contacted in the order their requests were received.
Does VDM offer financial assistance for Date Nights?
In accordance with the Museum’s mission, VDM does offer a limited number of scholarships for all of its programs, including Date Night Drop-Offs. For information about applying for a scholarship, contact Director of Operations Lindsay Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 977-1025 x102.
How do I apply my 10% annual member discount?
To apply this discount to program registrations made online, you must have an active annual membership and will need to create a Website User Account and link it to your membership record by following these instructions. If you have already created a Website User Account, click the registration link for the program you wish to register for and sign in using the link at the top of the registration page. If you need help applying your 10% discount when using our online order forms, please contact Visitor Services Manager Matt Berman at email@example.com or (434) 977-1025 x103.
How do I set up my Website User Account?
Did I successfully link my Website User Account and membership?
Contact Visitor Services Manager Matt Berman at firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 97701925 x103, and we’ll make sure everything is all set.
Cancellations & Refunds
What is VDM's cancellation and refund policy for Date Nights?
A minimum of 6 children is required for a program to run. If a program is canceled by the Museum due to insufficient enrollment or other extenuating circumstances, the registration fee will be refunded to all registrants.
Individual cancellations must be made at least 2 weeks before the corresponding program to be eligible for a refund. If an individual cancellation causes the program roster to fall below the required minimum, the refund will be contingent upon the vacancy being filled. If an individual cancellation is made within two weeks of the program, the registration fee will be forfeited. No refunds will be issued after a program begins.
Drop-Off & Pick-Up
Does VDM provide food or should I pack dinner or a snack?
Due to food allergy concerns, the Museum will not provide dinner or snacks during Date Night Drop-Offs. Participants are encouraged to eat before or after the program. Additionally, no food or drinks except for water will be allowed in the building, but families are encouraged to pack a water bottle for their child(ren).
Where can I park to drop off and pick up my child?
VDM validates parking for program participants at the Market Street Garage and Water Street Garage. Both locations provide the first hour of parking for free, and program participants receive an additional hour of free parking – for a total of two hours – when they request a validation ticket at VDM’s front desk. The Museum is also located next to the Downtown Transit Station, and Charlottesville Area Transit offers a Free Trolley that stops at the station as it travels through Downtown and the University of Virginia. Click to learn more about parking downtown or more about public bus routes and fares.
Click the icon in the upper left corner for map legend and details.
To learn more about Date Night Drop-Offs, contact Education Manager Lara Musser at email@example.com or (434) 977-1025 x106. For scholarship information, contact Director of Operations Lindsay Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 977-1025 x102.