Enrich the Lives of Our Community’s Children
Volunteers play an invaluable role in helping the Virginia Discovery Museum fulfill its mission through their time and talents. From interacting with visitors and making their experiences fun and memorable to keeping exhibit spaces clean and safe to assisting with educational programs and community events, volunteers are vital to creating a Museum that is engaging and accessible to all. Annually, VDM depends on more than 300 volunteers who donate over 4,000 hours, and the Museum is looking for caring and enthusiastic individuals to join our volunteer team and assist our fully vaccinated staff.
Details | Apply | Opportunities | Resources | Contact
Front Desk Specialists (18 & Older)
Shifts: 2-4 Hours. Weekday and Saturday Shifts Available Between 9:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Greet visitors and create a welcoming environment.
- Check in guests and process transactions such as daily admissions and memberships.
- Assist with answering phones and directing calls to staff.
- Help maintain a safe, tidy, and attractive Museum lobby.
Gallery Helpers (13 & Older)
Shifts: 2-4 Hours. Weekday and Saturday Shifts Available Between 9:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Occasional Sunday Party Shifts Available as Needed.
- Create a welcoming atmosphere.
- Interact with children and facilitate learning through exploration and play.
- Help maintain a safe, tidy, and attractive Museum environment.
- Assist with preparing and implementing activities for programs, camps, and community events.
- Ready the Museum for weekend birthday parties.
- Perform basic exhibit maintenance as needed.
Guidelines regarding masks, shift check-in, Museum-appropriate clothing, and earning/using VDM passes.
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Contact Marketing & Outreach Manager Anna Deater-Deckard at (434) 977-1025 x104 or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about volunteering at the Museum.