Have a passion for inspiring children to become lifelong learners? The Virginia Discovery Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer looking for enthusiastic, skilled individuals to join our team and help foster intellectual curiosity and development for all children in our community. For more than 25 years, VDM has provided hands-on educational opportunities for newborns to children age 8 in a safe environment where families can explore, imagine, and discover together, and the Museum welcomes more than 70,000 visitors annually.
The Virginia Discovery Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No telephone inquiries.
Outreach Education Manager
Full-Time. 40 Hours/Week, Tue-Sat, 9:15 a.m.-5:15 p.m.*
The Virginia Discovery Museum Outreach Education Manager (OEM) oversees the Museum’s outreach efforts in the community, serves as a point of contact for partnerships, and maintains the Museum’s presence as an educational destination in Charlottesville. The OC works to ensure that VDM’s mission is represented in its programs, events, and exhibits. The ideal candidate must be outgoing and enthusiastic and enjoy working with children and families.
*Sunday Hours as Needed
- Coordinates VDM’s Volunteer programs, including the Museum Teen Internship and Youth Advisory Board.
- Designs and implements Birthday Parties and Event Rentals in conjunction with VDM’s Operations Director.
- Manages and facilitates VDM’s relationships with community agencies and nonprofits.
- Manages, markets, and executes VDM’s StarLab program.
- Oversees VDM’s participation in community events and festivals.
- Works with VDM’s Education Managers to help facilitate Summer Camps.
- Works with VDM’s Education Managers to help facilitate VDM’s Meet Me on Main Street program.
- Plans and schedules pop-up programs at the Museum.
- Coordinates VDM’s participation in community fundraising opportunities.
- Assists VDM’s Marketing Manager with promoting Programs on radio, television, and social media.
- Works with exhibits staff to develop educational, interactive exhibits.
- Assists with gallery opening, closing, and maintenance.
- Assists with grant writing as it pertains to programs and educational goals.
- Helps with front desk staffing as needed.
- Strong educational background (education degree preferred)
- At least 2-3 years of experience working in education, either in a classroom setting or in program management.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work well in a collaborative environment
Please mail a cover letter and résumé to:
Lindsay Jones, Director of Operations
Virginia Discovery Museum
P.O. Box 1128, Charlottesville, VA 22902
Or email a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No telephone inquiries. VDM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.