Annual Family Winter Festival
It's the most wonderful time of the year: Meet the Virginia Discovery Museum at James Monroe’s Highland this December for Holly Days at Highland, a merry morning of cozy crafts, artisanal activities, and some very special stories from holidays long, long ago! Stay warm with cider and donuts as we enjoy ornament-making, foliage-foraging, and candle-dipping, all against the backdrop of Highland's picturesque views and historic estate. Holly Days is one of the Museum’s annual fundraising events, and proceeds directly support VDM’s educational programs and scholarships, exhibit creation and maintenance, and Sponsored Admission Program.
Event Details | Sponsors | Tickets | General Policies | FAQs | Contact
Thank You to Our 2022 Sponsor
VDM Presents: Holly Days at Highland
Saturday, Dec. 3 | 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. | Location: Highland
Before Nov. 30, adult and child tickets are $18 per person, and a “Family 4-Pack” of tickets is available for $70. Children 1 and under are free. Walk-ins are $20 per person at Highland the day of the event, space permitting, but please call the Museum ahead of time to check availability.
- Event registrants with any of these symptoms are asked to refrain from attending Holly Days.
- Masks are encouraged but optional for all event registrants. If a guest does not have a mask and would like one, VDM will provide one for them. Both adult- and child-sized masks are available.
- All event registrants must Check-In before their party participates in any activities.
Check-In & Check-Out
- 10:00 a.m.: Event Starts
- Although activities start at 10:00 a.m., event registrants may arrive and check in anytime during the event.
- Check-In takes place at the outdoor pavilion at James Monroe’s Highland.
- In the event of inclement weather, Holly Days will move to Highland’s indoor event hall.
- 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.: Festival Activities, Crafts & Storytelling
- 12:00-12:10 p.m.: Event Ends
- Activity stations close. Event participants may remain after the event to tour the estate, and use of the trails is free, weather permitting. Indoor tours of the house are an additional fee through Highland.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are masks required at Holly Days?
Masks are encouraged but optional for all event registrants. If a guest does not have a mask and would like one, VDM will provide one for them. Both adult- and child-sized masks are available.
Ticket Reservations & Walk-Ins
What if tickets for Holly Days have sold out online?
Walk-in tickets might be available at Highland the day of the event for $20 per person, space permitting, but please call the Museum ahead of time. To check availability, call (434) 977-1025 and press “0” to reach the Museum’s general line.
Does VDM offer financial assistance for Holly Days?
In accordance with the Museum’s mission, VDM does offer a limited number of scholarships for all of its programs and events, including Holly Days. For information about applying for a scholarship, contact Director of Operations Lindsay Jones at email@example.com or (434) 977-1025 x102.
How do I apply my 10% annual member discount?
To apply this discount to event ticket purchases made online, you must have an active annual membership and will need to create a Website User Account and link it to your membership record by following these instructions. If you have already created a Website User Account, click the ticket link for the event you wish to register for and sign in using the link at the top of the ticketing page. If you need help applying your 10% discount when using our online ticket forms, please contact Visitor Services Manager Matt Berman at firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 977-1025 x103.
How do I set up my Website User Account?
Did I successfully link my Website User Account and membership?
Contact Visitor Services Manager Matt Berman at email@example.com or (434) 977-1025 x103, and we’ll make sure everything is all set.
Cancellations & Refunds
What is VDM's cancellation and refund policy for Holly Days?
If the event is canceled by the Museum due to extenuating circumstances, ticket fees will be refunded for all guests. Registrants may cancel their tickets to receive a full refund until 5:00 p.m. on Nov. 30, but refunds will not be issued for cancellations made on the event day (Dec. 3).
Parking & Directions
Where can I park for Holly Days?
James Monroe’s Highland provides plenty of free parking on site. For directions to Highland, please use the GPS address 2050 James Monroe Parkway, Charlottesville, VA 22902.
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? To learn more about Holly Days or to ask about financial assistance, contact Director of Operations Lindsay Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 977-1025 x102.